‘Running After You’ is a single by Onoji Kalebson featuring Grace Emmanuel. It was released on the 4th of March, 2022. The song has a total play time of 316 seconds (5 minutes 16 seconds). The genre of the song is Nigerian Highlife music with a dash of contemporary worship music.
‘Running After You’ is a song of love and commitment to God in response to the great love He has shown to us. Its classy ‘Highlife’ feel makes it suitable to be played at ceremonies like wedding receptions, etc as it can easily be danced to by everyone, especially the elderly.
- Great production. This is the strongest point of this song. The choice and use of instruments were perfect for the song. There were lots of bright sounding instruments which gave the song a happy feel, rather than a sad one. The slow tempo of the song gave it that elegant, high class feel. The production was just skillfully and beautifully done.
- Beautiful melody. The song also has a beautiful melody which goes very well with the message of the song.
- The featured artist, Grace Emmanuel did very well with her verse. She added spice to the song in a very beautiful way.
- The backing vocals were professional.
- The song’s theme/ message is quite relevant. It was more of a commitment to God from Onoji Kalebson that no matter what happens, his heart will still be running after Him.
What could have been improved:
- Considering the message of the song, I expected that one of the verses would talk about the unconditional love of God and why the writer has made up his mind to keep running after God. We know from scriptures that we love Him because He first loved us. I guess Onoji Kalebson assumed that everyone who would listen to this song already knew this truth, but that’s usually not the case.
- I felt that Onoji Kalebson would have done better with his vocal delivery. The song is a commitment (born out of deep affection) to God in response to God’s love. But I didn’t hear that deep affection in his voice. It seemed like he was too conscious of how his voice would sound, that it lacked passion.
‘Running After You’ is a beautiful song with a beautiful production. I enjoyed listening to it. On a scale of 10, I would rate this song 7/10.
Do you want to hear the truth about your songs without sentiments? Get your songs reviewed by professionals without bias for just a token. Check out other music reviews I’ve done here.